Talk to your baby as often as you can. Learning to talk is one of the most important skills your child will achieve. Books provide your child with a source of new varied vocabulary.
- Reading a book is an easy way to have regular additional talking time with your child and provides something additional to talk about.
- Talking, listening, singing and sharing books together stimulate your child. It’s simple and pleasurable.
- Songs and rhymes are especially good for children as the rhythms and repetition makes it easier for small children to learn language skills.
- Pictures and book characters are a great topic of conversation during reading time and during the day.
- Developing a collection of well loved book characters opens up a special world and ‘secret language’ for you and your child.
- Don’t worry if you’ve read a book 100 times. Your child won’t! Young children love repetition and their language will benefit from repetition of favorite stories, rhymes and songs.
For more information about developing language visit www.talktoyourbaby.org.uk